Browser Issues when Embedding or Viewing Content
Modern browsers are increasingly introducing new measures to combat possible security risks. This can impact on embedding or viewing content within VU Collaborate.
When embedding some websites e.g. Google in a page within VU Collaborate, the page may not display at all or a warning message may pop up saying that the action is forbidden. This is normally because the owner of the site (e.g. Google) does not allow linking to them in this way.
Tip: Another common issue can occur when linking to a website starting with only http:// rather than https://. When attempting to view the link, your browser may give a warning or block access to the content.
When posting linked content, try to use secure URLs (https://) where possible. If the destination URL does not have an (https://) URL then ensure that your students are aware that they may have the content blocked or receive warning messages.
How to unblock content in various browsers:
- A small icon of a shield will appear on the left side of the address bar if the page you are viewing contains unsecure content.
- Click on the shield and click the More Actions arrow.
- Disable Protectionon this page
- A small icon of a shield will appear on the right side of the address bar if the page you are viewing contains unsecure content
- Click on the shield
- Select Load Unsafe Script
- A Popup will appear similar to the one below if the page you are viewing contains unsecure content.
- Click No to allow the content to be viewed.