Administering learning objectives for My ePortfolio
My ePortfolio learning objectives provide learners with a personalized approach to learning outcome showcase and management. My ePortfolio supports two configurations for facilitating learning objectives: a program-directed approach and an independent, self-directed approach.
In a program-directed approach, instructors and program administrators can push learning objectives (with associated items) into learner My ePortfolios from the organization, department, program, or unit offering level. Within this set up, learners can:
- share learning objective items with others to generate feedback
- associate learning objective items with artifacts, reflections, collections, and presentations that demonstrate their learning
- display learning objectives in presentations
- create public learning objective-based presentations to seek feedback from those external to the organization
- delete learning objectives that no longer align with their learning plan
The self-directed approach enables users to select learning objectives from VU Collaborate to import as items in their My ePortfolio. This model empowers learners to define their own learning plans in addition to the actions listed above.
Setting up Competencies for My ePortfolio
Depending on the org level at which you have the Manage Competencies role permission, you can set up competency structures at the organization, department, or unit offering level and make those structures available for My ePortfolio.
Ensure the following settings in the Competencies tool are configured to make competency structures available for use in My ePortfolio.
Note If Independent Learning Objectives is selected on the Settings page in the Competencies tool, orphan learning objectives are available by default to users enrolled in the org unit they exist within.
Make competency structures available for My ePortfolio
- On the Settings page in the Competencies tool, in the Display to User section, ensure the following check boxes are selected:
- Learning Objectives Required to make learning objectives available for My ePortfolio
- Competencies Required if you want to make competencies available for use as learning objectives in My ePortfolio
- Independent Learning Objectives Required if you want to make orphan learning objectives available for My ePortfolio
- On the Competencies List page, click on the competency structure you want to make available for My ePortfolio.
- Set the Status of the parent competency to "Approved". This makes its child learning objectives available for My ePortfolio.
Note If your institution has a review process for competency approval, ensure that you follow that process before selecting "Approved".
- Select Make competency and its children visible to users if you want to make the competency itself available for use as a learning objective in My ePortfolio.
Note If you or other users have the Manage Competencies permission, approved competencies appear as learning objectives in My ePortfolio regardless of whether you select this setting or not.
- Click Save.