Copying components between spaces
We strongly encourage you to make a backup of your space. VU Collaborate does not offer space backup feature, so a few different export processes are necessary to get all course data.
The copy components utility lets you copy quizzes, content, grade items, discussion forums, dropbox folders, and nearly every other type of component from another unit offering or a unit offering’s parent template. Copying components saves you from having to recreate your unit’s resources from scratch and can significantly reduce the amount of work required to create or re-offer a unit.
Access the Copy Components
Click Space Admin on the navbar, click Import/Export/Copy Components from the Site Resources section on the Space Administration page.
You can use the copy components feature to:
- Reuse components created in a previous unit offering.
- Add components created by your peers into your own unit offering.
- Set up standard components inside a unit template and copy them into a new unit offering each time a unit is re-offered.
To copy components between unit offerings, you must be enrolled in both offerings. (If you want to copy components from a peer’s unit offering, ask that user to enroll you). Enrollment and access to the parent template is required for users to copy components into a unit offering from it.
You can also copy components into a unit template, and you can create standard components within a template and then copy them into the template’s associated unit offerings.
Overwriting and duplicating content
The only component that might be overwritten is Course Files. A unit file is overwritten if one of the files being copied has the same name as an existing file. No other components are overwritten.
Let’s say you have three checklists in your current unit offering, and copy two checklists from another offering. You will now have a total of five checklists in the current offering. This is true even if the components are identical. If you are copying components from the same source multiple times, be careful not to copy the same items more than once or you will create duplicates.
User data and importing unit components
User data is not copied. For example, if you copy the discussions component, only the forums and topics are copied, not the messages posted to topics. Similarly, if you copy dropbox folders, user submissions are not be copied; if you copy quizzes, user attempts are not be copied, etc.
Links and associations between components
If you are copying linked or associated components, you must copy all of the related components at the same time. For example, if a discussion topic has release conditions based on the results of a quiz, you must copy all three components—discussions, quizzes, and release conditions—at the same time. Similarly, if you have a quiz that is associated with a grade item, be sure to copy both the quiz and the grade item at the same time. As long as the associated components are copied together, links between them are retained.
Note: To copy release conditions, you must select the Release Conditions component.
Special considerations when copying unit components
|Competencies||Competencies, learning objectives, and associated activities are copied.|
|Content||Does not include Files or Content Display Settings; these must be selected as separate components. Be sure to copy all of the files used by the content topic or the topic will not display properly.|
|Checklists||Due dates for checklist items are not changed when you copy them.|
|Groups and Sections||Auto-enrollments are not run in the new unit. You must enroll users yourself.|
|Navigation Bars||Tool Display Names must also be copied if you have modified the names of tools.|
|Release Conditions||The only release conditions that are copied are ones that are attached to and reference other components that are copied at the same time. For instance, if a quiz has a release condition attached that refers to a content topic, it is only copied if both the quiz and the content topic are copied at the same time. Choosing Release Conditions without selecting any other component does nothing.|
- Go to the Import/Export/Copy Components page for the unit offering you want to copy components into, by doing one of the following:
- Click Space Admin on your unit navbar, then click Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Click Import/Export/Copy Component in the Admin Tools widget or from the Admin Tools menu on the minibar.
- Select Copy Components from Another Org Unit, and then click Start.
- In the Current Course Components section, click the View Detail icon beside a component to see existing items.
- In the Copy the selected unit components from section, select the org unit you want to copy components from.
- Select Existing Offering to copy components from another unit offering you are enrolled in. You can select an offering from the list or click Search for offering to find the unit offering using a pop-up search window.
- Select Parent Template of Current Offering to copy components from the unit template the current unit offering belongs to.
- When you select the source unit offering or template, a section called Choose Components to Copy appears that lists the components available to copy. Select the components you want to copy using the check box next to each component.
- To copy only certain items from a component, choose Select individual items to copy. This allows you to select individual quizzes, discussion forums, dropbox folders, etc.
- When you are finished selecting components, click Continue.
- If you chose “Select individual items to copy” for any component in the previous step, the Select Items page appears. This page lists all of the items and any sub-items contained in the current component. (For example, on the Select Dropbox Items page, you will see all of the dropbox folders and categories.) Otherwise, the Confirm Components to Copy page appears.
- Select the individual items and sub-items you want to copy and click Continue.
- To view sub-items, click the + icon next to an item or click Expand All at the top of the list.
Note: Not all components have sub-items.
- Repeat the previous step for any other components for which you chose “Select individual items to copy.” The Confirm Components to Copy page appears. This page lists all the components that are copied and the number of items selected for each component.
- You can change the items selected within a component by clicking the Modify link beside the item. This takes you back to the Select Items page for that component.
- Click Finish to begin copying.
- The Copy Summary page displays, showing the copy progress.
- When a component successfully copies, a green check mark appears beside it. If any component fails to copy properly, a red X appears beside it.
- When the process is finished, click Done.