Access Discussions tool settings
Do one of the following:
- On the Discussions List page, click Settings.
- Click Space Admin on the navbar, click Discussions, then click Settings on the Discussions List page.
Org Unit Settings
Org unit settings apply to all users and all forums and topics in your unit.
Shared Display Settings Controls whether shared forums and topics display in the discussions list in your unit offering. If you clear this option, users cannot access shared forums and topics from within your unit offering.
Message Ratings Turns the message ratings control on or off for all topics within the unit offering. See Rating discussion messages.
Topic Descriptions Controls whether topic descriptions display in the message list. You can turn off this feature to save space for users with small screens and instead use pinned messages to provide explanations or instructions. See Posting a message in Discussions.
Personal settings control the way you view messages inside a topic. These settings apply to all unit offerings wherever you access discussions, but do not affect other users.
Display Settings The following display settings are available:
- Show the discussion topics list Use this setting to show or hide the list of topics. Hide it to save space or show it to switch between topics quickly.
- Show the search bar Use the search bar to search for messages. You can also show or hide the search bar by clicking Show Search or Hide Search from the More Actions button inside a topic.
- Show the preview pane If you are using the Grid Style message list, you can choose to open messages in a preview pane at the bottom of the screen or in a pop-up window. Select this option to use the preview pane; clear it to use a pop-up window.
- Display deleted messages Use this setting to display deleted messages in the message list. You must have permission to see deleted messages.
Default Message List View The following message list views are available:
- Threaded View Group messages together with their replies.
- Unthreaded View Sort messages by author, date, subject, message ID, or average rating.
Message List Style The following message list styles are available:
- Grid Style The Grid Style message list resembles a traditional email reader where each message’s subject, author, and date appear in a list without the full text of the message. To read a message, click the subject; the full text displays in a separate area.
- Reading Style The Reading Style message list shows the full text of all messages in a single view. You read messages by scrolling through the page without having to select messages and read them one at a time.
Message Fields to Display You can choose to display the following fields:
- Org Defined ID Use this setting to see ID numbers beside author names.
- Message ID Use this setting to see ID numbers when viewing messages.
Character Limits If you are using the Grid Style message list, you can choose to display only the first few characters of each message’s subject to save screen space. Select the check box and enter the maximum Subject Characters to Display.
Reply Settings Use this setting to automatically include the text of any message you reply to when composing a reply.