Creating multi-select questions
Create a multi-select question
- Enter a Title. Enter a Points value. Select a difficulty level in the Difficulty drop-down list.
- Enter your M-S question in the Question Text field.
- You can click Add a File to upload an image to accompany your question. You can enter a description of the image in the Description field.
- Select an enumeration style from the Enumeration drop-down list.
- Select a display Style.
- Choose a Grading format:
- All or nothing Users receive full points for the question if they select all of the correct answers and none of the incorrect answers. Users receive zero points if they miss any correct answers or select any incorrect answers.
- Right minus wrong Users receive points equal to the number of right answers they choose minus the number of incorrect answers they choose. To determine how much each answer is worth, the system takes the total number of points assigned to the question and divides it by the total number of answer choices.
Example If a question is worth 10 points and has 5 answer choices, each correct answer is worth 2 points, and each incorrect answer is worth 2 points (10/5 = 2). If a user gives 3 correct answers and 2 incorrect answers, 2 is the total number of points received for the question [(3-2)*2 = 2].
Note: Users can receive a minimum of zero on a question: they cannot receive a negative mark.
- Correct answers Users receive points for each correct answer they select and for each incorrect answer they leave blank. Incorrect answers selected and correct answers left blank are ignored.
Example Consider a question with a total of six potential answers, two answers being correct (in this case, choices a) and b) are the correct choices). The total points available for this question is 4.
6 out of 6 answers are chosen correctly. User receives full marks: 4 points.
4 out of 6 answers are chosen correctly. User receives a mark of 4/6 * 4 = 2.6667 points.
3 out of 6 answers are chosen correctly. User receives a mark of 3/6 * 4 = 2 points.
- Select the Randomize Options check box to randomly generate the option orders presented to each user.
- Enter an answer option in each Value field of your M-S question. You can click Add Option and select the number of additional answer options you want to include in your question. To reduce the number of answer options, click the corresponding Remove Entry icon.
- In the Correct field, select the check box next to each correct answer option.
Note A multi-select question will not be auto-graded if no check boxes are set as Correct.
- Provide comments and suggestions in the Feedback, Question Hint, and Question Feedback fields.
- Click Preview to view your question.
- Click Save to return to the main page, click Save and Copy to save and create another M-S question that retains the copied properties, or click Save and New to continue creating new M-S questions.