Setting Up VE Gradebook
In order to create a VE gradebook, you have to create the VE grade scheme and set up grades setup wizard.
Grades setup wizard
From the Results nav bar, click Grades.
Note : The first time you access Grades, you will be automatically directed to Grades Setup Wizard page.
VU Collaborate displays an overview of the default settings.
Before running through the Setup Wizard, you need to create VE Schemes.
To create VE Schemes, click on the Schemes tab, click on New Scheme.
Note: There are two scheme types, Organisational Schemes and Course Schemes. Although there are two Organisation Schemes set up for Higher Education, there is none for Vocational Education. This is because it is recognised that in Vocational Education there is a need for some flexibility in grading setup as VU Collaborate does not completely cater for competency based grading in the current version. It is not possible to create a grade scheme that is based on a non-numeric value and therefore a workaround is currently needed for ‘Competent' and ‘Not yet competent’ grading.
In the example below, it is assumed that an Assigned Value of 50% and above is considered a 'Competent' level of attainment and anything from 0-49% is considered a 'Not Competent' level of attainment. Some judgement needs to be made on what the 'Competent' level of attainment value is and in many cases it may be more realistic to have this value set at 80-100%, especially if the skills to be demonstrated have little to no room for error to be deemed 'Competent'.
Create New Scheme
- Enter the name of the Scheme in the field Name
- Short Name is optional
- You can set up your scheme by typing and selecting the Symbol, the Start % range, the Colour and Assigned Value % (see example)
- Click Save
Set default schemes
Click on the tick icon from the Set As Default column to make your scheme selected by default. The default scheme is the one that has the green tick icon below the Default Scheme column.
Setup Wizard - Step 1: Choose Grading Sytem
- After you have set up the VE grading scheme click onto the Setup Wizard tab and click Start
- For this example select Weighted grading system. In this system, the grade items and categories are calculated as a percentage of a final grade worth 100%. Maximum points and weight percentage can be assigned to your grades. The points can be of any value and final grade is calculated through the weight percentage assigned to each individual grade item. Click Continue.
Setup Wizard - Step 2: Final Grade Released
Select Adjusted Final Grade to make sure that you can adjust the grades, if neccessary, before releasing them to the students . This is important for competency delivery where teachers can make a final judgement on overall student competency. Click Continue.
Setup Wizard - Step 3: Grade Calculations
These settings do not impact on competency based delivery so we will leave the default setting. It's best practice to have Auto Update option checked. Click Continue.
Setup Wizard - Step 4: Choose Default Grade Scheme
From the Default Scheme column make sure that new VE Scheme that you just have created is selected and click Continue.
Setup Wizard - Step 5: Managing View Display Options
This setting does not impact on your competency based delivery. You can leave the default setting and click Continue.
Setup Wizard - Step 6: Student View Display Options
- Check the Grade Details of Grade scheme symbol and Grade scheme colour.
- Leave the rest of settings with the default options and click Continue.
Setup Wizard - Setp 7: Grades Setup Summary
The final step of the Setup Wizard displays a summary of the options that we have set up before. Click Finish.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service for further technical support.
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license