Creating and Viewing a Turnitin assignment
To create a Turnitin assignment, complete the following steps:
Step One: To set up a Turnitin assignment:
- Create a dropbox folder in the usual way (Dropbox > New Folder > enter Name) and then select Enable Plagiarism Detection for this assignment
Step Two: Specifying Start/Due and End dates
- Click on the Resrictions tab and specify the Start, End and Due dates and tick the corressponding boxes to confirm.
- Save these changes and switch back to the Properties tab.
Step Three: Submission Options
Under Submission Options in Properties tab, choose the submission settings you want. There are options for single or mutiple submissions as well as options to specify which submissions are kept.
Step Four: Originality Report options
Important Note: If you intend to use Grademark for feedback and marking, you may wish to untick Allow Submitters to see Originality Reports before you start marking via Grademark, as students can view Grademark feedback and grades whilst this option is ticked. Additionally the option to restict the date and time of access to Grademark under GradeMark available to Students will only restrict the student's ability to view the score within Grademark. This restriction does not in anyway restict students from seeing any comments placed upon an assessment.
Check submissions against:
- By default, all submissions in Turnitin are checked against the Turnitin User paper database, current and archived websites, periodicals, journals and publications.
- Untick these boxes if you wish to customise the settings.
- Selecting Allow other files to be checked against submission will store submissions in Turnitin’s User paper database.
Note: If draft versions are being submitted in this assessment dropbox it is best not to select this, as the final submission will appear to be plagiarised from the draft.
Click Save and Close.
If you wish to exclude small matches, bibliography or quotes from the originality report, follow the steps outlined below.
Step Five: Other Options
Excluding bibliography-quoted material-small matches
Once you Save and Close the Dropbox Assignment, the system will create your Turnitin assignment.
- From the Assessment Dropbox page click the dropdown arrow next to the name of the assessment and select Edit.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, under the heading Advanced Originality Checking Options you will be presented a new option: Edit Other Options in a new window.
- Click Edit Other Options in a new window and a Turnitin window will open in your browser.
In the Turnitin window:
- Click Optional settings from the Turnitin window.
- Scroll down to the Originality Report heading
From here you may edit your text exclusion settings for the originality report, these are set to "No" by default.
Important Note: DO NOT alter any other settings besides the three text exclusion preferences outlined in this guide. All other settings and preferences may be edited within the VU Collaborate Assessment Dropbox. Altering any other settings or preferences from this window will conflict with those in the Assessment Dropbox.
Once you have adjusted your exclusion preferences, scroll down and click Submit. You may now close the new Turnitin window.
Note: Please make sure you click submit before closing the Turnitin window, otherwise the changes will not take affect.
Contact ITS Service Desk on (03) 9919 2777 or via self-service for further technical support.
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license